The War


There’s a dangerous world I left behind,
Unseen,
A single war,
I used to stand at the peak of a mountain,
Basi-rah,
Then I jumped,
Arms stretched,
Landed, bleeding, crawled up again.
Only to realize,
There was another one.
For each war, is fought alone.
Like David versus Goliaths,
Only that there were multiple Goliaths,
Each the size of the World,
And the illusions they each carried with them,

This new war,
Was a single biggest war an army ever fought,
Left me bleeding almost to death,
If it wasn’t the Mercy my Maker had thought me,
The two single Kalimahs,
Auzubillah and Bismillah,

I just stood at the edge of the world,
Will I fall or will I fly?
In all remaining strengths left,
I chose to walk over the Pride and take a flight.

This is a war that no single person could see – other than smiles,
Not even the greatest of brain could understand,
But buried deep down in the heart,
In a location where there’s only Pride.

So maybe when I choose to leave the rhythms in my head,
It is because it is stealing the barriers I painstakingly built.

And this, was never from a poet.
Goodbye, Paree.

-          - Dreams of Greece, before Midnight, Autumn of 2013.